The Practice of Programming
by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike.
Have you ever…
- wasted a lot of time coding the wrong algorithm?
- used a data structure that was much too complicated?
- tested a program but missed an obvious problem?
- spent a day looking for a bug you should have found in five minutes?
- needed to make a program run three times faster and use less memory?
- struggled to move a program from a workstation to a PC or vice versa?
- tried to make a modest change in someone else’s program?
- rewritten a program because you couldn’t understand it?
Was it fun?
This preface made me lagugh for a minute.
The first few chapters are especially good, said someone.